I’m looking to transition back into an individual contributor role as a software
engineer. I bring strong mentorship, technical leadership, project management
skills, and a track record for delivering large projects.
- Languages: Ruby, Bash, Go, Python
- Technologies: AWS, Kubernetes, Spinnaker, Jenkins/CI, SaltStack, Chef, Cloudformation, Terraform, Ansible, Postgres, MySQL, Redis
- Other: CI/CD, OOP, TDD, Distributed Systems, Mentoring, Project Management
Engineering Manager, Cloud Engineering Autodesk Construction Solutions Feb 2019 – May 2021
Acquired PlanGrid Feb 2019
- Started as the engineer overseeing 20 datastores in a single US region. Grew
the team to 8 engineers that managed 200+ datastores (RDS Postgres, AWS
Elasticache Redis, AWS Elastisearch) across four different regions (Australia,
EMEA, 2x US).
- Led effort to migrate two large monolith service databases (4TB Postgres, 2TB Mongo database) to RDS Aurora and MongoDB Atlas, respectively, and designed the migrations to fit within a two-hour downtime window for each database. As a result, the effort reduced RTO from 2 hours to 20 minutes for both databases and reclaimed 8-weeks of person-hours per year for maintenance.
- Designed the migration strategy to migrate old Cloudformation-managed Kubernetes applications to Terraform-managed AWS EKS clusters with zero downtime.
- Promoted and designed API interfaces for inter-team communication to move away from JIRA ticket-based requests.
- Developed a project execution process that leads to delivering 80% of projects on time for four quarters in a row. Evangelized, trained, and standardized the process with two peer teams resulting in similar delivery rates.
- Reviewed, coached, and set a standard for engineering change proposals within the organization.
- Continuously educated/trained engineering teams on database self-service tools and database management practices to increase development team velocity when building features.
Principal Engineer, Tech Lead, Database Infrastructure PlanGrid 2018 – 2019
- Led a year-long project to provision a second region for PlanGrid products in a repeatable manner with three teams totaling 15 engineers. The system used Terraform/Terragrunt to provision a new region from scratch with a VPC, Kubernetes clusters, Spinnaker, and 40+ AWS datastores (Postgres/Redis) in two weeks. This system has since provisioned three additional regions since inception driving revenue for ACS that was not possible.
- Learned project leading, starting with a single project with two developers. By the end of my tech lead tenure, I ran 2-3 simultaneous projects at a time with 2-3 developers per project that exected between 2-3 months.
- Redesigned and migrated bespoke 3TB Postgres cluster architecture to enable a reduction of RTO from 48 hours to 2 hours and RPO from 24 hours to a few seconds.
- Took on a daunting task to develop the database strategy for the engineering organization that would lead/forced engineering teams to move towards a service-oriented architecture and enable multi-region deployments.
- Wrote and utilized written engineering proposals to persuade, cooperate, and lead design changes to the distributed systems across the team and within the engineering organization.
- Developed a standard postgres configuration based on prior incidents for all Postgres databases enabling faster feedback loops and removing long-running queries from consuming all database resources. I’ve documented this strategy in My GOTO postgres configuration for web services.
Infrastructure Engineer, Cloud Infrastructure PlanGrid 2016 – 2018
- Replaced critical EC2 scaling system with more performant auto-scaling system built with Cloudformation, EC2 Auto Scaling Groups, SaltStack, Docker containers, and a golang command-line deployment tool. As a result, it reduced critical asynchronous job processing time by 95% and reduced incidents by 50%.
- Migrated PlanGrid’s compute infrastructure from Heroku to AWS, Kubernetes, and Spinnaker with zero downtime and paved the way for achieving SOC2 Type II certification.
- Replaced bespoke manual/Ansible-based configuration system with a highly available setup for SaltStack Masters that manages all on-instance configuration for every EC2 instance in PlanGrid’s AWS infrastructure.
- Studied and developed Infrastructure as Code techniques with Cloudformation and git to manage PlanGrid AWS cloud infrastructure. In addition, I promoted the methodology to the rest of the team. As a result, we replaced 95% of AWS resources in staging and production environments with infrastructure as code in two years.
- Stepped up to help educate and standardize the method of releasing schema changes to our monolithic 2TB postgres database for 20 backend engineers.
Senior Software Engineer 8tracks 2011 – 2016
Wore many hats: frontend, backend, infrastructure.
- Replaced Solr-based search faceted browsing system with Redis sorted sets that covered 95% of the original feature set but 35% increase in performance and scalability.
- Rebuilt the site’s music player MySQL backend with a combination of MySQL and Redis that enabled TTL-based records without requiring DELETE queries from slowing down the performance of the database.
- Maintained a 99th percentile database latency of 10ms for queries for the central Ruby on Rails application with aggressive caching, query optimization, and schema denormalization.
- Replaced a ruby-based, async job, image resizer with golang-based, docker containerized, dynamic HTTP resizer to increase the speed at which the development team could release new designs to meet advertisement demands.
- Built and customized a Varnish load balancer to handle spikes in traffic due to Justin Bieber fans swarming the site.
- Built metrics observability with Graphite and statsd to enable better debugging of our distributed system.
- Managed the AWS cloud infrastructure using Chef and Knife
Senior Software Engineer New Relic 2010 – 2010
- Ruby on Rails backend software engineer developing tools to enable our Sales organization win deals.
Software Engineer Affinity Labs 2007 – 2010
- Honed my skills as a Ruby on Rails fullstack software developer.
Software Engineer Sparkart 2005 – 2007
- Began my journey learning fullstack development with PHP, Ruby on Rails, MySQL, prototype.js, and jQuery.
University of Texas at Austin, BS Computer Science 2005